2011 Ravenswood Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel Lodi, CA
This 2011 Ravenswood Old Vine Zinfandel from Lodi offers dark plum color with pleasant aromas of noticeable of coffee, blueberry and black cherry. To be surprised, I think this is the first time I smelled something similar to coffee! On the palate, a lot of black cherry, dark chocolate and black pepper with smooth texture. It has long smoky finish. I would say medium to full-bodied. Let it open up for 30 min to hour. This is one of my best Zinfandel so far. And price, yes, love it under $20.
Ravenswood winery website: ravenswoodwinery.com
Red Zinfandel Characteristics
- Zinfandel is lighter color than Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.
- Zinfandel flavors are Raspberry, Black Cherry, Blackberry, Blueberry, Black Currant, Black Plum, Raisin, Fig, Apricot, Cranberry Jam, Jammy/Brambly Fruit.
- Zinfandel aromas are Licorice, Star Anise, Smoke, Black Pepper, Black Cardamom.
- Most Zinfandel wines have higher alcohol levels ranging from about 14 – 17% alcohol by volume (ABV). A lighter Zinfandel will have about 13.5% ABV whereas a bold and spicy Zinfandel will have around 16% ABV.
- Zinfandel synonyms is Primitivo (Puglia, Italy).